- 1 Where are the fish biting in New Mexico?
- 2 What is the fishing season in New Mexico?
- 3 What kind of fish are in Cochiti Lake?
- 4 Where can I fish the Pecos River?
- 5 Where is the best fishing in New Mexico right now?
- 6 What kind of fish are in Navajo Lake NM?
- 7 How big do trout have to be to keep in NM?
- 8 Is Cochiti open for fishing?
- 9 Can you fish in Cochiti Lake?
- 10 Is Cochiti Lake open during coronavirus?
- 11 Can you fish on the Pecos River?
- 12 Is Jemez open for fishing?
Where are the fish biting in New Mexico?
5 Favorite New Mexico Fishing Spots
- San Juan River. The San Juan River is a world-famous fishery below Navajo Dam in northwest New Mexico.
- Upper Río Grande River. The upper Río Grande around Taos can be great fishing in early summer, but it may be out of sorts from runoff, too.
- Cimarrón River.
- Chama River.
- Pecos River.
What is the fishing season in New Mexico?
The fishing license year is April 1- March 31. A few lakes and parts of some streams are designated “Special Trout Waters,” more commonly referred to as “Quality Waters.” On most of them, only artificial flies and lures with single, barbless hooks can be used. All have restrictions on bag and possession limits.
What kind of fish are in Cochiti Lake?
About Cochiti Lake Cochiti Lake is near Los Alamos. The most popular species caught here are Smallmouth bass, Northern pike, and Channel catfish.
Where can I fish the Pecos River?
Many locals agree that the very best rainbow and brown trout fishing on the Pecos is found between Terrero and Cowles. The section just above Terrero is best fished by beginning at the Terrero General Store (parking across the river along the road at Holy Ghost Campground) and fishing upstream.
Where is the best fishing in New Mexico right now?
5 Best Fishing Spots in New Mexico
- Ute Lake State Park, Logan, NM. At 8,200 acres and 13 miles in length, Ute Lake is one of the longest in the state.
- Conchas Lake State Park, Conchas Dam, NM. The translucent blue-green water here is impressive.
- Bluewater Lake State Park, Prewitt, NM.
- Pecos River.
- San Juan River.
Fishing Navajo Lake and San Juan River Quality Waters Anglers fish by boat and from the shoreline, marinas, and dam. Navajo Lake species include rainbow and brown trout, crappie, Kokanee salmon, northern pike, large and smallmouth bass, bluegill, and catfish. Handicap-accessible ramps are located throughout the park.
How big do trout have to be to keep in NM?
Bag limit of 5 fish is considered any combination of trout and/or salmon with the exception that no more than 2 lake trout and/or 2 cutthroat trout may be included in the limit. Trout bag limit is 4 trout at the Tingley Beach Central Pond and the Children’s Pond.
Is Cochiti open for fishing?
Tetilla Peak Recreation Area is open April – October while Cochiti is opened year-round.
Can you fish in Cochiti Lake?
This lake is well stocked with bass, crappie, walleye, catfish, sunfish and trout. The lake is a no wake lake open to non-motorized boating, sailing, wind surfing, kayaking and fishing.
It’s official folks! The Cochiti Lake Project is fully opening its day use areas to the public starting July 1st, 2021.
Can you fish on the Pecos River?
The Pecos River is an excellent location for both fly fishing and regular cast fishing, offering incredible fishing options just a short drive from Santa Fe. The Pecos River is known for its Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout and Rio Grande Cutthroats.
Is Jemez open for fishing?
FR 376 will remain open through the end of the year allowing for great access to this river. Rio Guadalupe is in good shape right now with low, clear and cooling water conditions.