- 1 Is Alamogordo worth visiting?
- 2 What’s Alamogordo famous for?
- 3 How far is Alamogordo from White Sands?
- 4 Is Alamogordo NM A safe place to live?
- 5 What is there to do around Holloman AFB?
- 6 What else is there to do around White Sands National Park?
- 7 What does Alamogordo mean in English?
- 8 What mountains are in Alamogordo NM?
- 9 Is White Sands worth visiting?
- 10 What is the best time to visit White Sands National Monument?
- 11 Is Alamogordo New Mexico a good place to retire?
- 12 What’s the crime rate in Alamogordo New Mexico?
Is Alamogordo worth visiting?
Alamogordo is a smaller but beautiful upcoming tourist destination that is worth a visit. You will be surprised by some of the unique things to do and places you can explore at this hidden destination. You might wish to revisit it someday again, to take a break and relax at Alamogordo.
What’s Alamogordo famous for?
Alamogordo is known for its connection with the 1945 Trinity test, which was the first ever explosion of an atomic bomb. Humans have lived in the Alamogordo area for at least 11,000 years.
How far is Alamogordo from White Sands?
The distance between Alamogordo and White Sands is 47 miles. The road distance is 50.5 miles. How do I travel from Alamogordo to White Sands without a car?
Is Alamogordo NM A safe place to live?
The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Alamogordo is 1 in 35. Based on FBI crime data, Alamogordo is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to New Mexico, Alamogordo has a crime rate that is higher than 76% of the state’s cities and towns of all sizes.
What is there to do around Holloman AFB?
Holloman AFB offers a number of recreational activities to enjoy during your time here: bowling, camping, crafting, flying, swimming, and more. Off base, there’s even more to explore.
What else is there to do around White Sands National Park?
10 Things to Do in White Sands National Park, NM
- Flooded playa near White Sands.
- White Sands, a dinosaur’s playground!
- Driving into Las Cruces at sunset.
- Plants along the Dune Life Nature Trail.
- White shifting dunes.
- A gypsum road across the dunes.
- Dazzling white everywhere.
What does Alamogordo mean in English?
Alamogordo means ” fat cottonwood.” Gordo = fat; alamo = poplar or cottonwood. Developed as a rail junction with a nearby mountain lumber railroad in 1898.
What mountains are in Alamogordo NM?
The Sacramento Mountains are a mountain range in the south-central part of the U.S. state of New Mexico, lying just east of Alamogordo in Otero County (small portions of the range lie in Lincoln County and Chaves County).
Is White Sands worth visiting?
White Sands National Park (on Mescalero Apache and Tampachoa native land) is an extremely beautiful place and definitely worth the stop if you find yourself near southern New Mexico. The white sand dunes are like nothing I’ve ever seen before, comprised predominantly of the mineral called gypsum.
What is the best time to visit White Sands National Monument?
Probably the best time to visit is late October / early November when the Cottonwoods are changing color. By mid November most of the Cottonwoods have changed color.
Is Alamogordo New Mexico a good place to retire?
Good place to retire and/or spend a few quiet years away from the constant energy in some areas of the US. Small town,came here from Omaha, NE city of 600,000 so it feels like its missing a lot but the people are generally friendly and I haven’t come across any crime.
What’s the crime rate in Alamogordo New Mexico?
The rate of crime in Alamogordo is 64.16 per 1,000 residents during a standard year. People who live in Alamogordo generally consider the west part of the city to be the safest.