- 1 Does New Mexico have good elk hunting?
- 2 Can you rifle hunt elk in New Mexico?
- 3 What is the best unit to hunt elk in New Mexico?
- 4 Where is the cheapest place to hunt elk?
- 5 How much does a guided elk hunt cost?
- 6 Are there elk in Ruidoso NM?
- 7 Where are the biggest elk in New Mexico?
- 8 Where are the most elk in New Mexico?
- 9 Can you buy over the counter elk tags in New Mexico?
- 10 How do I get a Montana elk tag?
- 11 Where are the elk in New Mexico?
- 12 What is considered a mature bull elk in New Mexico?
- 13 Which state has the best elk hunting?
Does New Mexico have good elk hunting?
New Mexico is a great state for elk hunting.
Can you rifle hunt elk in New Mexico?
Rifle Elk Hunts Rifle hunts cover rut activity and the move into bachelor groups. Our average success rate is 80% on these hunts. Hunts take place in Catron County in southwest New Mexico and Rio Arriba County.
What is the best unit to hunt elk in New Mexico?
South central New Mexico is home to some of the states best elk hunting with units 34 & 36 leading the way. The two units have been consistent producers of quality bulls (300+) with truly giant bulls (370+) being taken out of both units every year.
Where is the cheapest place to hunt elk?
Affordable Archery Elk Hunts
- Idaho/Wyoming Public Land. This outfitter has the best trophy quality of the four with chances at bulls over 320″.
- New Mexico Private Land with Landowner Permits Included. This hunt has two different kinds of ranches.
- Colorado Public Land.
How much does a guided elk hunt cost?
The Guided Hunt How much does an elk hunt cost? Elk hunts go for as little as $2,000 to well over $10,000. The area, style of hunting, caliber of bulls and accommodations, all influence how much you will pay.
Are there elk in Ruidoso NM?
While elk hunting remains popular in the state, elk viewing is a big draw for tourists as well as locals in the Ruidoso area. The community has lived with herds of mule deer for decades.
Where are the biggest elk in New Mexico?
Located in the top trophy elk-producing county (Catron) from 2000 to 2009, the areas within the Gila National Forest consistently produce the best bulls in New Mexico. Any of the “16” areas have the potential to produce a trophy, but according to “Eastman’s Hunting Journal,” the top areas are 16A, 16C and 16D.
Where are the most elk in New Mexico?
Some portions of the state where elk are relatively abundant include: The San Juan Mountains near Chama, in Game Management Unit 4; the Jemez and Sierra Nacimiento of Unit 6; Mount Taylor in Unit 9; Gila National Forest in Unit 16; Carson National Forest in Units 52 and 53.
California, Nevada and New Mexico do not offer any OTC Elk tags, so all elk tags in these states are limited entry only. Some of the OTC tags are not limited except in certain units, while other tags may be limited state-wide.
How do I get a Montana elk tag?
The applicant must have completed a Montana hunter education course, or have previously purchased a Montana resident hunting license. Qualifying nonresidents 18 years of age or older need to apply for either a Deer, Elk or Big Game Combination license starting March 1 and the deadline is April 1.
Where are the elk in New Mexico?
Elk Viewing: In the summer months, they can be seen in the cottonwood groves along Glorieta Creek and near the Forked Lightning Ranch. In the autumn, they can be seen in the Trade Field to the east of the Pueblo. Watch for elk along the edges of clearings early in the morning.
What is considered a mature bull elk in New Mexico?
“Mature bull” or “MB” shall mean a male elk with at least one brow tine extending six or more inches from the main beam or at least one forked antler with both branches six or more inches long.
Which state has the best elk hunting?
Top 10 States for Elk Hunting
- Colorado. Many say Colorado is the best state for hunting elk because of its numbers.
- Oregon. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Utah. Utah rivals Arizona when it comes to trophy elk hunting.
- New Mexico.